List:       kde-freeqt
Subject:    Re: FW: [freeqt] GPL vs LGPL
From:       Mark <mark () mjm ! net>
Date:       1999-04-01 17:02:52

On Thu, 1 Apr 1999, Merlin wrote:

> What does all of the have to do with the GPL, or LGPL, for that matter?
> There is no point in starting or continuing a developer flamewar.
>
> Let's get back on track.

I would tend to agree with this. Especially from the perspective that this
decision has been made. The original developers of Harmony had a vote and
they decided that LGPL would be the license. Now if *those* developers
would like to change their decision *they* could do that as a group, but
we basing our work on previously released and licensed code must abide by
the terms of the license, and that license if LGPL.

I personally have records of the vote and would be happy to repost the
results.

Also I believe there would be issues regarding kdelibs being under LGPL
and using a GPL library that would make a GPL Harmony impractical if not
impossible. Or can an LGPL library be a dependent work of a GPL library?

Mark
--
Mark Menard <mark@mjm.net>        http://www.mjm.net          MarkX on IRC