List:       kde-freeqt
Subject:    FW: [freeqt] GPL vs LGPL
From:       "Davis, Kelly W" <DavisKW () LOUISVILLE ! STORTEK ! COM>
Date:       1999-04-01 0:03:28

		> I investigated the Qt license previously for a commercial
product, and
		> believe me their pricing is anything but horrendous,
especially
		> considering that their aren't any runtime royalties.

		What pipe are you smoking?  You don't think that paying >
$1,000 per developer is excessive?
		By comparison, if I want to use Microsoft's Windows GUI API,
it only costs me $0.  If I want to use their MFC, it costs me $99 for a copy
of VC++.   I get 10 times more with MFC but it costs 10 times less.  I don't
have to pay royalties.  And this is from Microsoft.
		Qt does cost a little less than Visix's Galaxy did, but then
Visix is out of business now, aren't they?

What pipe are you smoking?  $1,000 per developer isn't hardly anything.
It's true, you can use Microsoft's GUI API or their MFC for free or per
developer.  If you want to sell it though it's going to have to look
professional and you're going to have to shell out a lot more money to make
it work.  Troll Tech's fees only apply if you are trying to sell a product.
If you are writing something you plan to give away, you don't have to pay
them a penny.  Qt isn't going to make money for Troll Tech by selling to
individuals.  Qt is going to make money for Troll Tech by selling to
companies that want their Windows product to look professional on a Linux
platform.  One advantage that Qt is going to have over Harmony in this
aspect is that Troll Tech is supplying tech help to their customers.  That
something you won't get with Harmony.>

		> All what money. If I develop a commercial application that
say for the
		> sake of argument nets me $20,000 per year, I pay TT a once
off payment of
		> what $1500. I need never pay them another penny.

		Unless, of course you want to use the latest version of Qt
next year and beyond.  In that case, you'll pay ~$300 per developer per year
forever.
		Also, what if I want to sell a $5 program from which I might
make only $500?

		If you are going to make an argument, at least make an
accurate and realistic one.
		Carl Thompson

I worked for a company that paid is software supplier something on the order
of 300 dollars per running process every year, and they had thousands of
processes running.  Why?  It's simple.  If we had a problem we could call
them and they would fix the problem.  If you're going to slam Troll Tech,
slam them for not providing a cheaper solution for the average developer,
such as an alternative pricing plan which might earn them royalties off of
your product.  That way, if you want to sell a product, and you can't afford
the buy in fee for Qt, you can at least play in the same ball field.

Kelly