List:       kde-freeqt
Subject:    Re: [freeqt] Thoughts on QPL
From:       Karl Nelson <kenelson () ece ! ucdavis ! edu>
Date:       1999-03-07 21:48:13

In message <36E27032.EB7FCFC8@linuxrising.com>Christian Schaller writes
>I agree with you on the patches issue, the GPL compatibility issue I haven't
>really studied enough to have an opinion about, I guess as long as RMS
>doesn't demand that the KDE project quit using the GPL is has to be ok.

Actually, I asked RMS a while back about this issue.  His response is
that it is not a matter of the FSF requesting the KDE stop using
the GPL code, but the copyright holders themselves.  It is only
code whose direct holder is the FSF that RMS would be involved.
This is good and bad for KDE.  If the individual copyright holders
of violated programs come forth and as KDE to stop using their
code, then KDE will be in trouble.  FSF will not be coming
to knock down doors unless the authors of the code ask.

Any code that the KDE coders write should have a waver for Qt.
With such a waver there is no conflict with GPL, asside from
code taken from other sources.

RMS has clearly indicated that he feels that Harmony should
continue.  I agree with this position.

--Karl