List:       kde-freeqt
Subject:    Re: [freeqt] Even more Harmony with Harmony
From:       mosfet <mosfet () jorsm ! com>
Date:       1999-02-19 14:04:33

On Fri, 19 Feb 1999, you wrote:
>Christian Schaller (frostking@linuxrising.com) spake thusly:
>> As a Gnome fan, which recognises that there are a lot of cool Qt-based apps
>> out there, I have a small feature request I like to
>> put in as Harmony now seems to start up again.
>> Would is be feasible to make Harmony gtk-theme compatible, meaning that
>> Harmony and Gtk/Gnome uses the same theme-engine.
>> This would provide the advantage of a consistent looking Gnome desktop between
>> Gtk based and Harmony(Qt) based applications.
>> This would be advantageous the other way around to, allowing KDE users to use
>> Gtk based apps without losing the consistent look and feel of the desktop.
>
>  Plans are under way to write a gtk-theme compatible theme for Qt 2.0.
>If Harmony were to resume, and be finished, and be Qt 2.0 compatible then
>it would automatically then be able to use Gtk themes.

QT uses a slightly different approach to theming then GTK does. Basically, in
KDE it breaks up functionality into two parts, a class called QStyle that does
the actual physical drawing, and a group of pixmaps (the theme for the style).

This has two distinct advantages. First, in KDE it will be possible to use a
group of pixmaps (say a marble theme or a gradient theme) with any widget
style (say Platinum or Next) with no changes being made to either. I am doing a
class called KStyleHelper with helps with the fine details such as whether a
pixmap should be tiled for one style while scaled for the next,
specialized caching, etc...

The second is that you can literally do anything you want in the style's
drawing methods. This includes making a GTK theme parser if someone wishes to
write it. While I am doing some KDE style integration and themes, I do not intend to write
the GTK theme engine. If someone wishes to do so, please feel free to email me
and I would be glad to let you know what the status of the KDE code is and how
to best use it.

BTW: You will need both KDE1.2 from CVS and QT2.0 beta both running and
operational.