List:       kde-freeqt
Subject:    Re: [freeqt] Licensing problem with the QPL and more
From:       Christian Boos <boos () arthur ! u-strasbg ! fr>
Date:       1998-11-27 10:32:37

Patrice Fortier writes:
 > I'll wait to see if something like relay++ (from Christian) or the MT
 > stuff from Olivier is included in 2.0 (or the next release) before
 > jumping in that train. Although I don't know if I'll be able to resist
 > making a NeXT theme for QT 2.0 :) (I'll make it for Harmony if I'm
 > asked for it anyway).

They don't need to do that.  For me, it is enough that I can legaly
build and distribute my modified Qt lib, along with the applications
that benefits from my patches.
Of course, if my Relay-- lib is incorporated in a future release of
Qt, this will be really cool :)

(The Relay-- library will be Relay++ minus all the MT stuff, that is,
a very light-weight & powerful signal/slot mechanism).

 > BTW Christian did you get any answer for the patch cvs problem?

No answer yet, but I still thinks it is a good idea.

 > As it sounded a good idea I thought at it, and I saw some other problems(?)
 >  - Is it legal? :) (in the license PoV)

If the 'checkout' exports the original, unmodified, Qt files, I can't
see how this could be illegal.

 >  - Do the patches need to be directly against the _original_ sources or
 >    against an already patched tree? If only the first solution is allowed,
 >    I wish  good nights to the patch maintainer(s), and the solution will be
 >    awfully complicated for people downloading all this mess.

I guess that you can make CVS to produce complete diffs
between any versions, that is recreate a complete diff between the initial
revision and the current one, even if the history between is kept as
incremental diffs. But again, it would help to hear the opinion of
someone more knowledgeable :)

 > I guess (hope) some other people are already thinking about a solution
 > (debian?) to solve this...

I don't know.

-- Christian