List:       kde-freeqt
Subject:    Re: [freeqt] Licensing problem with the QPL and more
From:       Patrice Fortier <Patrice.Fortier () aquarel ! fr>
Date:       1998-11-27 9:16:07

> > Troll Tech honoured with this step the so called Open Source Community
> > (which I'm not sure it exists),
>
> It doesn't! It's now called the "People should write free software for
> _me_" community.

You're an optimist :)

In fact I don't mind if this is the target community.
What I'm afraid of, is that TT has made this license just to say "stop
bashing at our head now we're Open Source", and doesn't include the
patches submitted.
I'll wait to see if something like relay++ (from Christian) or the MT
stuff from Olivier is included in 2.0 (or the next release) before
jumping in that train. Although I don't know if I'll be able to resist
making a NeXT theme for QT 2.0 :) (I'll make it for Harmony if I'm
asked for it anyway).

Call me paranoiac if you want, but as I worked in a political administration
I learned to avoid trusting people saying "I'm your friend! Please make a
U-turn, and bendover" :)
I would trust a tt developper, but unfortunatly he is not the one who
decide on a company. As always, Money talks...

BTW Christian did you get any answer for the patch cvs problem?
As it sounded a good idea I thought at it, and I saw some other problems(?)
 - Is it legal? :) (in the license PoV)
 - Do the patches need to be directly against the _original_ sources or
   against an already patched tree? If only the first solution is allowed,
   I wish  good nights to the patch maintainer(s), and the solution will be
   awfully complicated for people downloading all this mess.
I guess (hope) some other people are already thinking about a solution
(debian?) to solve this...

just my $0.05 (this is the taxed version of $0.02 :))

Lokh.