List:       kde-freeqt
Subject:    Re: [freeqt] Future of Harmony
From:       Mosfet <mosfet () jorsm ! com>
Date:       1998-11-23 1:42:17

Andy Tai wrote:

> > Well, I totally agree with that as a policy; I'd like gtk to speak KDE
> > as well as possible so you can produce a KDE app in gtk - perhaps that's
> > my next project? ;)
>
> If so, that's different from Hayes' vision of "merging into one solution."
> There would still be two projects, but they can share more standards and
> interoperability.  (That's fine.) But Hayes' original  "resigning" letter is
> unjustified because it implies there is no point to work on Gnome and
> everyone should switch to KDE instead.
>
> The way to go is not to have KDE absorbing GNOME developers, but to have the
> two projects be compatiblle in common protocols.
> Common protocols also allow the use of different toolkits.  Star Office
> supports KDE but it does not use Qt.

I'd go even further. It would be nice if some of the libraries can be
shared between the two projects. One example would be using Imlib for
pixmaps in QT (kind of like Harmony does). Another would be if C++
wrappers could be built around Orbit and if Orbit can be made fully
CORBA compliant. That way more code could be shared between the two
projects and less work replicated between them.

<snip>

mosfet@jorsm.com
mosfet@mieterra.com
ksiag@lowrent.org