List:       kde-freeqt
Subject:    Re: [freeqt] Future of Harmony
From:       atai () ece ! ucsd ! edu (Andy Tai)
Date:       1998-11-22 23:37:27

> Well, I totally agree with that as a policy; I'd like gtk to speak KDE
> as well as possible so you can produce a KDE app in gtk - perhaps that's
> my next project? ;)

If so, that's different from Hayes' vision of "merging into one solution."
There would still be two projects, but they can share more standards and
interoperability.  (That's fine.) But Hayes' original  "resigning" letter is
unjustified because it implies there is no point to work on Gnome and
everyone should switch to KDE instead.

The way to go is not to have KDE absorbing GNOME developers, but to have the
two projects be compatiblle in common protocols.
Common protocols also allow the use of different toolkits.  Star Office
supports KDE but it does not use Qt.

GNOME won't be abandoned because its developers like to stay with C and
do not like Qt.  Regardless of the technical merit of their opinions,
the two projects just won't be merged.

Hayes, do not cover yourself with the execuse "one desktop solution."
One desktop can be built without merging two projects.
If you meant well you would not have sent that resignation letter.

On a related note, maybe Harmony can serve as a porting bridge for KDE
to GNOME (i.e, Harmony can support GNOME hints and component models without
changing to the Qt API, thus making KDE applications GNOME with just
re-compilation).

--
Li-Cheng Tai (Andy Tai)                       e-mail: atai@ece.ucsd.edu

Free software:  the software by the people, of the people and for the people,
worldwide.  Develop! Share! Enhance! And enjoy!