List:       kde-freeqt
Subject:    Re: [freeqt] Relay++ library [long]
From:       atai () ece ! ucsd ! edu (Andy Tai)
Date:       1998-09-28 23:26:23

The whole point of Harmony seems to make KDE run on top of a free GUI library.
Your argument goes against the very basic purpose of Harmony, as I understand it.

> Ok, with Relay++, Harmony will not be 100% source compatible with
> legacy Qt apps, only, say, 99% (*)
>
> Perhaps your fear is that the KDE people will avoid using Harmony if it=
> is not source compatible with Qt? This is wrong. They will use what
> they feel is the most appropriate tool for the job. I even read
> somewhere that there was a Tk extension which adds KDE compatibility!
> If you can now write KDE apps with Tcl, you certainly will be able to
> do so with an enhanced replacement of Qt.
>
> In short, Harmony should not be a Qt clone, but a better Qt.

A better but non-compatible Qt.  What's the point?   It does not
help the needs of the community.  A Free Qt clone is needed.

Just an observer.

--
Li-Cheng Tai (Andy Tai)                       e-mail: atai@ece.ucsd.edu

Free software:  the software by the people, of the people and for the people,
worldwide.  Develop! Share! Enhance! And enjoy!