List:       kde-frameworks-devel
Subject:    Re: Breeze and ECM are incompatible for installing icons
From:       David Jarvie <djarvie () kde ! org>
Date:       2023-11-03 12:15:37

On 3 November 2023 09:13:15 GMT, Carl Schwan <carl@carlschwan.eu> wrote:
> On Friday, November 3, 2023 12:46:20 AM CET Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> > El dijous, 2 de novembre de 2023, a les 14:36:16 (CET), David Jarvie va
> >
> > escriure:
> > > Breeze installs its icons in a different directory structure from other
> > > icon themes, with the result that the ECM cmake command ecm_install_icons
> > > doesn't work for Breeze icons. The only way to install an application
> > > specific Breeze icon is to hard code its location, for example
> > > "${KDE_INSTALL_ICONDIR}/breeze/actions/22/".
> >
> > Why are you installing icons in breeze icon theme if you're not the breeze
> > icon theme?

I wanted to provide an icon that is visually compatible with the Breeze theme, and \
Breeze doesn't supply it.

> > Seems wrong to me.
>
> Yes, it's wrong. We made the same mistake in Tokodon and the correct way to do
> it is to install in the hicolor theme. This allow the theme to overwrite the
> icon if they want and don't force you to hardcode the breeze icon theme.

Third party applications are quite entitled to install their own icons in the Breeze \
theme, and currently this won't work using the ECM function. This issue doesn't just \
apply to applications which are part of KDE.

--
David Jarvie
KAlarm author, KDE developer