List:       kde-frameworks-devel
Subject:    Re: Framework metadata
From:       Aurélien_Gâteau <agateau () kde ! org>
Date:       2013-12-20 19:39:21

Le vendredi 20 d=E9cembre 2013 14:15:33 Aur=E9lien G=E2teau a =E9crit :
> Mandatory files for a framework:
> =

> # README
> =

> Formatted in Markdown. Contains a high level overview of the framework and
> links to:
> - mailing list
> - IRC channel
> - git repo
> - bugtracker
> - reviewboard
> =

> # INSTALL
> =

> Formatted in Markdown. Contains generic install instructions, following A=
lex
> Merry suggestion, except if the framework requires specific settings.
> =

> # COPYING.*
> =

> Classic license files
> =

> # $framework.yaml
> =

> Anything necessary for kf5dot to generate the dependency diagrams. Yes it=
 is
> YAML, not JSON, for the reasons I outlined before.
> =

> I expect this file to be as simple as:
> =

> 	tier: 3
> 	type: integration
> =

> kf5dot requires at least the "tier" information but I may add other thing=
s,
> like "hidden" dependencies not caught by cmake graphviz (ex: kded depende=
ncy
> on kinit, or kdnssd optional dependency on kconfig).

I started to work on this, with one minor change: the README is named =

README.md, to reflect its type.

I created $framework.yaml file for all frameworks, and updated kf5dot to ma=
ke =

use of it (hackish for now). You can find updated dependency diagrams at:

	http://agateau.com/tmp/kf5

I created placeholders for the missing README.md and renamed/reformatted =

existing ones. Writing README for 57 frameworks is quite a big task though,=
 so =

I could use some help :). I started a wiki page to track progress:

https://community.kde.org/Frameworks/Epics/KF5.0_Release_Preparation/Necess=
ary_Files

Some are marked as "in progress" meaning that I converted an existing READM=
E =

but its content needs to be completed or refreshed (for example the kinit o=
ne =

mentions Makefile.am files...)

Most of the "done" one contain really little content, so review/improvement=
s =

are welcome.

Aur=E9lien

Shameless plug: You may find my mdview tool handy to get a live preview of =

your README.md file while editing it: https://github.com/agateau/mdview