List:       kde-events
Subject:    Re: [Kde-events] Hey dude, what's that,
From:       Carsten Niehaus <cniehaus () gmx ! de>
Date:       2008-03-10 18:22:07

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

[Attachment #4 (multipart/mixed)]

Am Montag, 10. März 2008 19:08:08 schrieb Jonathan Riddell:
> On Mon, Mar 10, 2008 at 06:40:55PM +0100, Frederik Gladhorn wrote:
> > Hello Events :)
> >
> > I'm still rather new to KDE as devel, so don't shoot me yet, but I
> > thought I could share some experiences made during my four days of CeBit.
> > I don't know how much of this has been discussed so far, and don't want
> > to point fingers. I'd just like to improve the experience for both -
> > visitors and us staying at the booth.
>
> Is anyone down to do the Dot News article?

I took Alex's article about CeBIT 2007 and updated it. That means I removed
not fitting parts and wrote some new lines.

This is of course suboptimal but all I can provide.

Eike, Frederik et al: Would you be so kind and add a couple of lines?

Harald: You have photos for the dot. Could you select a couple of nice ones?

Carsten

["cebit.txt" (text/plain)]

KDE was present at Cebit 2008 in Hannover, the world's largest IT fair. The booth was \
located inside the LinuxPark in Hall 5, where Linux New Media had given us and other \
open source projects the opportunity to present their work.
On Thursday, when the exhibition started we occupied booth F52. Fortunately, this \
year our network-situation was quite good as all of our Notebooks had WIFI. We \
attracted a lot of visitors and it turned out that the booth was a bit small for us.  \
 Thanks to our great community the KDE booth was always very well staffed, both by \
experienced KDE contributors and our friends in Fedora community, but also by users \
who volunteered and by that did their first-time contributions to the KDE world. It's \
nice to see such enthusiastic new contributors coming to KDE :-)

We had a lot of interesting chats with visitors. There were very different groups of \
visitors. Some of them were experienced KDE users and maybe we were able to motivate \
some of them to contribute to KDE themselves. Then there were also visitors \
completely new to Linux, we could show them that nowadays Linux with KDE is a viable \
if not even more powerful alternative to the commercial offerings. I guess the most \
asked question was "How stable is KDE4?". For these visitors we could show some \
bleeding edge KDE 4 applications and were able to convince many visitors that KDE 4.1 \
will truly be impressive.

During the event, members of the KDE projects gave a couple of talks in the Linux \
Forum. On Saturday, Franz Keferböck talked about graphic effects in KDE4 while on \
Sunday, Carsten Niehaus and Frederik Gladhorn did a live demonstation of KDE4 and its \
applications.