List:       kde-enterprise
Subject:    Re: introduction and questions
From:       Philippe Fremy <pfremy () chez ! com>
Date:       2001-11-01 1:39:54

> The sheer scale of it makes it important for me to really get real and
> detailed numbers - one small miscalculation could equal the cost of a
> small Pacific island... That is why I am looking for help regarding
> research, case studies (real ones, not just marketing jibberish), etc.
>
> So where are the other monster installations of KDE?  -;^>=

As you probably have seen, enterprise.kde.org lists some enterprise that
are using KDE. There are a few details for each enterprise and a
mini-interview of the contact.

This is a good starting point for KDE in enterprise, but these small case
studies should provide far more information, to help admin like you, who
want to have facts for KDE.

Mitch, what are the informations you would like to have about a company
running KDE ?

The questions I want to see answered for any company running KDE are :

- What OS are you using ? Is it a homogenous environement or an
heterogenous one ? In the last case, how do you cope with it ?

- How many KDE workstations there ? How many non-KDE ?

- What hardware are you using ?

- Who is using KDE ? Developers only ? Managers ? Secretaries ?

- Was it a switch to KDE or has KDE always been there ? In case of a
switch, what motivated the decision ? Who took the decision ?

- Was the roll easy ? What were the main problems ? Have you had to patch
some applications ?

- What KDE applications are you using ? What non-KDE applications are you
using ?

- How do people cope with KDE ? Are they satisfied with it ? Is it easy
enough to use ? What need improvement, from a user point of view ?

- Where does KDE need improvement from the admin point of view ? What would
you like to change in KDE ? Which applications are good and which are
missing ?

- Could your company kick money to help KDE ? Or pay someone to help for a
roll-out to KDE ?

- Final comments ?

I imagine that having answers for this would certainly help. Does anybody
have other questions ?

	regards,

	Philippe

--