List:       kde-edu-news
Subject:    [Kde-edu-news] KDE-Edu Newsletter #4
From:       Anne-Marie Mahfouf <annma () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-12-01 18:06:48

Newsletter #4 from the KDE-Edu team

This is the fourth newsletter from the KDE-Edu project. The project's ultimate
aim is to create educational software based around KDE, the K Desktop
Environment and all our projects are under an Open Source licence (mainly GPL
or Artistic Licence). This newsletter keeps you informed of the state of this
project.

Website
http://edu.kde.org

The big news this month is that we head for the first release of the kdeedu
package in the very soon KDE3-beta1. This is a tremendous achievement and the
developers had a lot of work to get everything ready. The docs especially
(using docbook-xml) are not so easy to write!

The main mailing-list kde-edu has been very quiet during last month but the
project is very much active, don't be mistaken!. We also  have a devel
mailing-list which is reserved for specific development questions and which
was quite busy.

Projects
We still have 9 projects in cvs and 4 will soon join.  This last month we
could not include new projects because of the first KDE3-beta1 release which
will be out soon.
If you want to try the projects, go to the project-webpage and download the
tarball. You will preferably need on your system Qt-2.3.* and KDE-2.2.x..

Those of you who are adventurous could use cvs. For that, you need to compile
qt-copy from cvs (or qt-3.0.0), then kdesupport and kdelibs at least, then
kdeedu. Those of you who are adventurous but don't know how to use cvs can
wait for the KDE3-beta1 release and grab the rpm/debs which will be prepared
for your distribution. Please remember that a beta1 is by definition unstable
and buggy!

If you have an idea for a program that would be useful, please tell us about
it!

Projects in planning.
- a verbs conjugation helper: a KDE developer wrote for himself a small
application to learn how to conjugate norvegian verbs. This application could
be modified/improved and used in different languages.
- Kard, a memory-like game (match 2 cards) for young children which existed in
KDE1 is currently being rewritten and will be a smashing game.
- KLearnSpelling is a small program to help chidren in primary schools learn
their spelling words. The program will allow the teacher/parent/child to enter
the list of words then the pupil will be able to test if he/she knows how to
spell them.
- KPercentage is a small math application that will help a pupil with
calculating percentages.

Those 4 projects are already well advanced.

The KDE-Edu team wish you all a very happy Christmas.

The KDE-Edu team
webmaster@edu.kde.org