List:       kde-edu
Subject:    Re: LabPlot & KDE Eco
From:       Alexander Semke <alexander.semke () web ! de>
Date:       2022-06-19 8:10:34

Hello Joseph,

On Freitag, 17. Juni 2022 13:25:20 CEST Joseph P. De Veaugh-Geiss wrote:
> Hello,
>
> my name is Joseph De Veaugh-Geiss. I am Community & Project Manager of
> the KDE Eco initiative, which focuses on eco-certification and energy
> efficiency in the development of Free Software.
>
> I saw at the LabPlot website that this list is the right place to ask
> questions related to the project.
>
> I am writing now because I am interested in finding interested
> participants to help develop plotting and/or statistics tools for energy
> consumption measurements.
>
> In a few weeks in mid/late July (date tbd) we plan to hold a Sprint to
> measure various KDE programs and further develop the tooling for
> automating the measurement process. Would anyone here be interested in
> joining virtually or in person to work on integrating LabPlot into the
> energy consumption tools?
>
> Of course all other KDE projects and developers are very welcome to get
> involved as well :) It would be great to have you join the KDE Eco proje=
ct!

> Some background: In May we held a Sprint to set up a community
> measurement lab at KDAB Berlin to measure the energy consumption of KDE
> and Free Software. You can read about it here:
>
>    https://eco.kde.org/blog/2022-05-30-sprint-lab-setup/
>
> One contributor, Volker Krause, has also been hacking power plugs to
> work as inexpensive power meters. He has been using LabPlot to visualize
> the results. You can read his blog posts here:
>
>    https://volkerkrause.eu/2020/10/17/kde-cheap-power-measurement-tools.=
html

>    https://volkerkrause.eu/2022/05/28/kde-eco-sprint-may-2022.html
>
> Volker mentioned he and Alexander Semke had been in touch, and I wanted
> to follow up on that today :)
>
> I look forward to hearing from you!

Thank you for reaching out to us. Yes, I got interested in this topic afte=
having read the blog posts you mentioned above and I contacted Volker.

It would be really great to perform the analysis and the visualization of =
the
data collected in these measurements directly in LabPlot. I started lookin=
already into some use-cases in this area and trying to implement the scena=
rios
in LabPlot. We'll be happy to implement features, if still missing and
feasible for us, that would be required for this project.

Joining the next sprint sounds like a great idea. Please invite me next ti=
me.

Regards,
Alexander