List:       kde-edu
Subject:    Re: Questions about Parley and KWordQuiz
From:       Peter Hedlund <peter () peterandlinda ! com>
Date:       2013-10-28 16:00:41

Hello,

I completely agree with what has been said here.

There has not been much work on KWQ recently for two reasons; it is in my o=
pinion more or less feature complete and stable, and due to other interests=
 and obligations I have had very little time to devote to it.

I am open to any suggestions or decisions regarding the future of these pro=
grams the larger edu team find appropriate.

Thanks,
Peter

On Oct 27, 2013, at 1:15 PM, Frederik Gladhorn <frederik@gladhorn.de> wrote:

> On Saturday 26. October 2013 18.15.53 Andreas Cord-Landwehr wrote:
> > Hi, today at the Edu sprint we came up with the question about
> > what the long-term plan for vocabulary training applications in KDE
> > Edu should be. As far as we know, currently we have KWordQuiz
> > and Parley, which solve very similar needs (at least from our high
> > level view). So it would be great, if you could help us understand
> > better why we have two different applications (which allows better
> > advertisement of their specific qualities) or whether it could be a
> > goal to switch to only one application in the future...
> > =

> > From the people currently here in La Coru=F1a, unfortunatley
> > nobody can remember the specific arguments what lead to having
> > two applications. So it would be great if you could help us
> > remember :)
>  =

> Hi, I hope you're having a great sprint!
>  =

> From my point of view there was simply the argument that Parley's UI is t=
argeted at more advanced self learners and KWQ aims to be nice and simple.
>  =

> I agree that the question is valid and that it is not very sensible resou=
rce wise, as I consider at least Parley unmaintained and I guess KWQ is not=
 faring much better. For Parley the aim was to get a nice welcome screen (i=
t's partially there) so that you don't see the editor first but can start p=
racticing right away. But there are still many low hanging fruits (polish t=
he UI, conjugations, ...).
>  =

> (I will not manage to spend time on Parley any time soon because I have t=
oo many other things going on, when I have time left over I try to work on =
making accessibility in KDE work sensibly, so I'll not get active with Parl=
ey again)