List:       kde-edu-devel
Subject:    Re: [kde-edu]: KStars and KNewStuff
From:       Josef Spillner <spillner () kde ! org>
Date:       2004-05-20 20:31:44

Em Qui 20 Mai 2004 16:01, Jason Harris escreveu:
> Hmm, I guess it was the pointer?

Yes: The KIO notifications can never reach the object if it is created on the
stack (i.e. without the 'new' operator).
Unless we would use KIO::Job::setAutoErrorHandlingEnabled() in knewstuff. But
then still other errors could occur without being able to see them.

> BTW, is there any way to tell what file has been retrieved by KNewStuff?

Does the dcop command not work for you? Or this is about something else?

On a side note, please have a look at http://www.kstuff.org/wiki/.
I have already implemented re-using upload information, but there might be
other details.

On the server side, I have been even busier, more or less the whole
upload-process-download cycle can be automated now, and I'm working on an
admin frontend to moderate entries and allow translators to add summary
translations etc.

Imagine that a lot of people use those features, then you don't want by hand
look at which version is newer, recreate the XML file, find out what icons
are missing etc.
But a server to run it on has yet to be found, ideally not running anything
else (for security reasons) and operated under KDE e.V. flag.
I will try to make a proposal to the sysadmins, maybe there's some hardware
left :)
If individual web pages (like on edu.kde.org) want to display what is
available, this will be possible similar to how kde-apps.org entries are
currently shown at the KDE frontpage, or even better, with preview images,
direct download links etc.

What do you think about this?

Josef