List:       kde-edu-devel
Subject:    Re: [kde-edu-devel] HEAD is now open again
From:       Andy Fawcett <andy () athame ! co ! uk>
Date:       2004-01-18 21:05:50

On Sunday 18 January 2004 22:36, Jason Harris wrote:
> On Sunday 18 January 2004 01:29 pm, Anne-Marie Mahfouf wrote:
> > "Bug fixing and testing prefered - but technically there is nothing that
> > makes features and string changes a problem."
> > in answer to your mail.
>
> I read that as "bug fixing and testing [in KDE_3_2_BRANCH] is preferred but
> there is nothing that makes features and string changes [in HEAD] a
> problem"
>
> It made the most sense that way to me.

That's exactly what it means.

There's a tendency, as soon as HEAD is open after a freeze, for developers to
concentrate on new features and applications. Unfortunately, this means that
the release branch gets neglected somewhat, which does nothing to help the
quality of the packages that various teams produce (I speak from experience
here, as a packager)

So, by all means work on new ideas in HEAD, but monitor the lists for bug
reports (bugs _and_ compile problems) in the KDE_3_2_BRANCH, and provide
fixes wherever possible. These should be reviewed carefully, and follow the
usual rules for committing to Release branches (no new features, no new
strings, and showstoppers only).

If in doubt about committing to the branch, ask on one of the -devel lists, or
ask Stephan for his opinion (as Release Dude).

A.

--
Andy Fawcett                                     | andy@athame.co.uk
"In an open world without walls and fences,      | tap@lspace.org