List:       kde-edu-devel
Subject:    Re: [kde-edu-devel] size of kdeedu
From:       Dominique Devriese <dominique.devriese () student ! kuleuven ! ac ! be>
Date:       2003-09-08 15:27:40

Mahfouf Anne-Marie writes:

> Obviously, KTouch and KStars could reduce their data. What is the
> solution the authors want? Do they need help to do it? When does it
> need to be done?

The data in KTouch mostly consists of language-specific data too, just
like in KLettres.

This language-specific data in kdeedu seems to be quite a large
problem..

First of all, it would technically not be very hard to move these the
various kde-i18n modules.  If there is consensus that this should be
done, I'm willing to help with this..

However, there seems to be concern from the translation teams about
the size of the kde-i18n modules if this move should be done..  The
language-specific data in kdeedu would currently amount to about 1MB
for KLettres, and about 1 to 4MB for ktouch, for the languages that
have the respective data available..  For comparison, the
language-specific data that is currently in the various kde-i18n
modules, is anywhere between 0 and 2,5 MB.

I guess we should contact the translation teams ( perhaps only the
ones affected: cs, da, fr, nl, sk for klettres and de, dk, fr and no
for ktouch ) about the issue to see what they think..

Basically, we have the choice to increase the sizes of some i18n
modules by at most 1 to 4MB to reduce the kdeedu size by some 20 MB..

What do you think ?

cheers
domi