List:       kde-edu-devel
Subject:    Re: [kde-edu-devel] size of kdeedu
From:       Sebastian Stein <s5228 () informatik ! htw-dresden ! de>
Date:       2003-09-08 13:53:54

Jason Harris <kstars@30doradus.org> [030908 15:36]:
> kbruch: 0.2

Hey, I have the smallest app in the module. I'm the winner ;-)

> total: 68.1
> I could revert this and shed 5.4 MB (making the
> remainder an optional download...perhaps integrated in the UI).

That's the point. I think a common mechanism is needed to download extra
data from the net. Of course you could just provide a link and open
konqueror and download the stuff. But I think it would be better to also
have an wizard to easily install the data. The user should be able to choose
between a user installation of the data (into his HOME dir) or a system wide
installation (in KDEDIR). But it should also be possible for distributions
to provide a package with the extra data and ship it with their distros.

I'm thinking of something like the xpi files of Mozilla. Another very good
example is the configuration/installation wizard of the Latex Distribution
Miktex (for Windows). There you can browse the catalog of avaible data, mark
the wanted data. This data will be downloaded and installed. Very easy for
the user.

I'm not sure if it the right time now to plan such radical changes. I
thought we are in feature freeze?

Steinchen
--
KBruch:  application to automatically generate tasks with fractions
Package: KDE Edu in KDE 3.2 (http://edu.kde.org/kbruch/)