List:       kde-edu-devel
Subject:    Re: [kde-edu-devel] KLatin 1.0.0
From:       Jason Harris <kstars () 30doradus ! org>
Date:       2003-08-19 3:50:51

Hi,

Translators can simply provide a version of the file in their language
and install it with the same filename at "kde-i18n/<lang>/data/
kdenonbeta/klatin/GCSE-A.kvtml".  In your code, you do something like:

  QString filename( "GCSE-A.kvtml" );

  if ( KGlobal::locale()->language() != "en_US" )
    filename = KGlobal::locale()->language() + "/" + filename;

  filename = locate( "data", filename );

Actually, I think that you don't even need the if statement...

Jason

On Monday 18 August 2003 11:30 pm, George Wright wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have just committed KLatin 1.0.0 stable to kdenonbeta/klatin. I'm
> not sure if the i18n support is up to scratch but I'll give a vague
> outline of how I've done it:
>
> The vocabulary filename is located via locate("data",
> i18n("GCSE-A.kvtml")), so that translators can create a new filename
> for latin<->german/french etc files, such as "fr_VOCAB.kvtml" and put
> that in as the French translation for "GCSE-A.kvtml". All strings
> that require translating are i18n() encapsulated. I have called it
> GCSE-A.kvtml because it is the list of all the Latin words in the OCR
> GCSE syllabus that start with the letter 'A'. I have not added any
> other letters yet, as, quite frankly, I've had enough of XML for
> today :) More vocab XML files to follow tomorrow...
>
> It would be nice to get a reply from anyone that is familiar with
> i18n techniques to say whether my method is adequate, and if not,
> what can be done to make it acceptable.
>
> The docs are annotated by annma (from the previous version) giving
> translators info on how to translate the files. I have updated these
> comments to reflect the new docs.
>
> This version has so far only been compiled on a Motorola PowerPC 7450
> CPU with gcc 3.2.1. I'm pretty certain it'll work on other machines
> though :)
>
> That's all from me today.
>
> - George

KStars: A KDE Planetarium