List:       kde-edu-devel
Subject:    [kde-edu-devel] KLatin 1.0.0
From:       George Wright <georsoc () attglobal ! net>
Date:       2003-08-19 3:30:16

Hi all,

I have just committed KLatin 1.0.0 stable to kdenonbeta/klatin. I'm not sure
if the i18n support is up to scratch but I'll give a vague outline of how
I've done it:

The vocabulary filename is located via locate("data", i18n("GCSE-A.kvtml")),
so that translators can create a new filename for latin<->german/french etc
files, such as "fr_VOCAB.kvtml" and put that in as the French translation for
"GCSE-A.kvtml". All strings that require translating are i18n() encapsulated.
I have called it GCSE-A.kvtml because it is the list of all the Latin words
in the OCR GCSE syllabus that start with the letter 'A'. I have not added any
other letters yet, as, quite frankly, I've had enough of XML for today :)
More vocab XML files to follow tomorrow...

It would be nice to get a reply from anyone that is familiar with i18n
techniques to say whether my method is adequate, and if not, what can be done
to make it acceptable.

The docs are annotated by annma (from the previous version) giving translators
info on how to translate the files. I have updated these comments to reflect
the new docs.

This version has so far only been compiled on a Motorola PowerPC 7450 CPU with
gcc 3.2.1. I'm pretty certain it'll work on other machines though :)

That's all from me today.

- George