List:       kde-edu-devel
Subject:    Re: [kde-edu-devel] update on copyright status of catalogs
From:       Jason Harris <kstars () 30doradus ! org>
Date:       2003-07-10 16:31:03

Hello,

I just heard from Karen O'Flaherty from ESA.  The Hipparcos catalog is in the
public domain:

:  Hello Jason,
:
:  The Hipparcos data is in the public domain and may be used
:  by anyone. We do request however that use of the catalogue data
:   is acknowledged. Something similar to "This application
:  makes use of the  Hipparcos and Tycho catalogues (ESA, 1997)"
:  could be appropriate, and a link to the ESA Hipparcos web pages
:  (http://sci.esa.int/hipparcos) would also be appreciated.
:
:  Can I enquire what you would like to use the catalogue for?
:
:  Regards,
:  Karen O'Flaherty

Do you guys still feel that the SAO catalog is not Free enough?  If so, I'll
look into switching to Hipparcos.

Jason
--
KStars:  A K Desktop Planetarium