List:       kde-edu-devel
Subject:    Re: [kde-edu-devel]  [Ben Burton <bab@debian.org>] Removing kstars
From:       Jason Harris <kstars () 30doradus ! org>
Date:       2003-06-23 18:10:11

Hi Ben,

Thanks.  Please note that the images of the planets are NASA/HST images, and
that these are in the public domain.  The README.images file lists them as
"free with credit", but the credit in this case is a suggestion, not a
requirement.  This does not apply to the moon images, which are used by
permission of their author.  So, you can keep the planet images, if you like.

I am going to see if I can find some DFGS-compatible images for all objects.
I'll keep you posted on it.

regards,
Jason

On Monday 23 June 2003 11:33 am, Ben Burton wrote:
> Hi.
>
> (CCing this to the person who reported the kstars licensing issue and to
> the corresponding debian bug number.)
>
> > This is a non-issue; we don't use non-free data in kstars.  The star
> > catalog is not the Yale Bright Star Catalog, it's (a subset of) the SAO
> > star catalog, from the ADC.
> >
> > As stated in the ADC FAQ, all of its data catalogs are in the public
> > domain, unless otherwise stated in the catalog's README:
> > http://adc.gsfc.nasa.gov/adc/questions_feedback.html#policies1%22
>
> Rightio.  I'll add this information to the kstars copyright file and
> keep it in kdeedu (in debian main).  It might be worth adding this
> information (including the appropriate extract from the ADC FAQ) to a
> README file of some sort in the kstars distribution, in order to avoid
> further confusion for other distributions.
>
> > The inline images used by KStars are another matter; many of them are
> > either used with permission by the author, or are free for
> > non-commercial/educational use only.  This may make them non-DFSG.
>
> Indeed; the DFSG does not allow discrimination against fields of
> endeavour.
>
> > There's a
> > simple solution: just don't package the inline images.  The program
> > doesn't care if they are present or not.
>
> Rightio, I'll do this.  Can you please clarify the meaning of "used with
> permission?"  e.g., what rights are assigned to users?  Redistribution?
> Modification?
>
> Thanks for helping clear this up,
>
> Ben. :)

- --