List:       kde-edu-devel
Subject:    Re: [kde-edu-devel]  [Ben Burton <bab@debian.org>] Removing kstars
From:       Ben Burton <bab () debian ! org>
Date:       2003-06-23 15:33:01

Hi.

(CCing this to the person who reported the kstars licensing issue and to
the corresponding debian bug number.)

> This is a non-issue; we don't use non-free data in kstars.  The star catalog
> is not the Yale Bright Star Catalog, it's (a subset of) the SAO star catalog,
> from the ADC.
>
> As stated in the ADC FAQ, all of its data catalogs are in the public domain,
> unless otherwise stated in the catalog's README:
> http://adc.gsfc.nasa.gov/adc/questions_feedback.html#policies1%22

Rightio.  I'll add this information to the kstars copyright file and
keep it in kdeedu (in debian main).  It might be worth adding this
information (including the appropriate extract from the ADC FAQ) to a
README file of some sort in the kstars distribution, in order to avoid
further confusion for other distributions.

> The inline images used by KStars are another matter; many of them are
> either used with permission by the author, or are free for
> non-commercial/educational use only.  This may make them non-DFSG.

Indeed; the DFSG does not allow discrimination against fields of
endeavour.

> There's a
> simple solution: just don't package the inline images.  The program doesn't
> care if they are present or not.

Rightio, I'll do this.  Can you please clarify the meaning of "used with
permission?"  e.g., what rights are assigned to users?  Redistribution?
Modification?

Thanks for helping clear this up,

Ben. :)