List:       kde-edu-devel
Subject:    Re: [kde-edu-devel] chmod-like function?
From:       Josef Spillner <josef () ggzgamingzone ! org>
Date:       2003-04-24 6:10:14

On Thursday 24 April 2003 07:18, Jason Harris wrote:
> Does anyone know how to make a file executable (equivalent of 'chmod a+x
> filename' shell command) from within a KDE program?

You might want to look at the chmod() system function (man 2 chmod),
specifically the S_IXUSR flags, or KIO::ChmodJob for the KDE way of doing
this.

Let me however ask what you want to achieve?
Executing arbitrary contents is possible using scripting languages (whose
files don't need x-bits), and executing binary programs depends on the
architecture.
Both are critical from a security point of view unless a sandbox is created
for them.

Josef

--
Play for fun, win for freedom.