List:       kde-edu-devel
Subject:    Re: [kde-edu-devel] Re:  Re: status of application discussion
From:       Klas Kalass <klas.kalass () gmx ! de>
Date:       2002-09-18 5:24:58

Am Mittwoch, 18. September 2002 00:17 schrieb Neil Stevens:
> On Tuesday September 17, 2002 03:12, Matthias Messmer wrote:
> > >
> > > Please, no.  There is a KDE style guide.  If that style guide is
> > > missing things, contribute to the overall KDE discussion to add to it.
> >
> > Dont you think, that applications made for young kids need to be
> > designed in another style than office or browser applications?
>
> No, because kids are already going to be using other applications anyway.
> Kids can have a customized environment by using large fonts, simple mouse
> settings, easy to understand widget styles.
>
> Oh, and not all apps in kde-edu are aimed at young children.  KStars and
> Kiten come immediately to mind.
>
> I would suggest that developers who don't want to follow the KDE styleguide
> shouldn't put their apps in the KDE release.  Uniformity is one of the
> defining features of KDE.
Yes, but it is nonsense to have an entry in apps like KMath that says "File".
We need to make up our mind what is special and what needs to be different
and maybe integrate that into the main Style Guide. I don't think we need our
very own version, but we need a hint that maybe "Exercise" is better suited
than "File" for some edu apps.