List:       kde-edu-devel
Subject:    Re: [kde-edu-devel] possible design math app
From:       Dominique Devriese <fritmebufstek () pandora ! be>
Date:       2002-08-11 17:10:39

Kevin Krammer <kevin.krammer@gmx.at> writes:

> On Sunday, 11. August 2002 18:23, Dominique Devriese wrote:
>
> > I think you are wrong to think that it is useful here, because:
> > 1 the main part of it is its loading mechanism: it has a way to search
> > a directory for files, which it presents to the program as plugin
> > infos it can load.  This is imho not usable for KDEEdu since we want
> > desktop files with more information than the file name of the module
> > binary...  KParts::Plugin doesn't use desktop files at all..
>
> Hmm, you _can_ use desktop files with plugins. No idea if you're supposed
> to do so, but we (actually our mapper developer) use it that way.

well, you're not supposed to do so, if you look at
kdelibs/kparts/plugin.cpp, you'll see that it's mostly formed by the
functions for loading plugins, and that they don't use desktop files.
If you use the class without its loading functions, you could as well
not use it, since that's about the only thing it does ( except for the
xmlFile() and localXmlFile() funcs, which are trivial, iirc )

<snip>

Anyway, it seems to me that the best approach would be:

an interface class which inherits KParts::Part and indirectly QObject,
and which is passed a pointer to its shell to access and send info
to...  The plugins inherit KXMLGUIClient, an present a function
widget()...
the shell program finds desktop files with KTrader or by just
having a fixed directory of desktop files where it searches.  The
desktop files contain information on where to find the plugin binary,
names (translated like in other desktop files), etc.

Is this something we can agree on ?  It seems to me like the
best approach to implementing Eva's design..

cheers
domi

--
How dare the government intervene to stifle innovation in the computer
industry! That's Microsoft's job, dammit!