List:       kde-edu-devel
Subject:    [kde-edu-devel] Re: [kde-edu]: Re: new project / ktimes?
From:       Michael Hofer <michaelhofer () gmx ! net>
Date:       2002-08-04 18:11:48

Hello!

First of all: Thanks for your answers and your tips.
I didn't realize that there are separate user- and devel-kde-edu-lists so my
original mail went to the wrong list.
I introduced the idea of a mathematic-training-program / -game. If you have
missed my original posting on kde-edu, you can find it here:
http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-edu&m=102846457323602&w=2

Am Sonntag, 4. August 2002 19:14 schrieb Dominique Devriese:
> "Mahfouf Anne-Marie" <annemahfouf@hotmail.com> writes:
> > I think it would be better to start a new project with your idea. In
> > the future, it could still be merged with
> > KTimes if we want to.
>
> Erm.. are you sure ?  These two seem to me like rather similar apps,
> and having two of these IMHO is not consistent to the user, a waste of
> developer time etc.  Also: merging is not as simple as you seem to
> think.. I made a similar mistake when i started Kig, and i'd very much
> advise against it.

I have the same objections as Dominique. I think it would be better if there
was a common architecture/structure. The program could be "splitted" in a
children/training-mode and an adult/competition-mode.
Even if the two parts do not exactly the same thing, there are many
similarities....
Also seen from a "marketing" standpoint, I think it would be better to have
one "well known" KMathTrainer(?) than two more mini-apps.

I am going to read some KDE-development-docs now and will try to make me
familiar with KDevelop and all the unix-dev-tools.

Any comments, ideas, suggestions and help are, as always, highly appreciated.

servus,
Michael