List:       kde-edu-devel
Subject:    [kde-edu-devel] Re: Kiten and knorskverbs
From:       Thomas Diehl <thd () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-07-24 6:02:07

Am Mittwoch, 24. Juli 2002 07:37 schrieb Taiki Komoda:

> >So why include those two applications? It seems like kdeedu is collecting
> >every educational applications hanging around, regardless of what they
> >are.
>
> As well as Klettres, KMessedWords, Kverbos and Kthesaurus in Koffice ... ;(
> Ispell couldn't handle japanese, so we claim including ispell?
>  No.

I'd say you can hardly compare that: I don't know of a problem in the
framework of ispell which would keep it from supporting Japanese if anybody
would take the time to implement it. And even if there was such a problem,
there is still support for dozens of other languages. So it makes perfect
sense to distribute it internationally until there's something better.

Also KMessedWords now has the capability of creating user defined word lists.
Don't know if it works for Japanese (if it doesn't write a bug report). But
it surely works for a lot of other languages and, therefore, it also makes
sense to distribute it internationally.

Where this does _not_ make sense, IMO, are indeed apps like knorskverbs. There
is no point to distribute such extremely spezialized apps with the KDE main
distribution. This is one of the things we now have kdeextragear for. Maybe
we should also have really localized KDE_ja, KDE_fr etc. one day. But,
unfortunately, this is not in sight yet.

> If you don't want to translate, keep it untranslated.

Most teams aim at completely translated KDE versions which as a whole make
sense to their users. There is no point adding programs to the main modules
that are of no interest to 99.9% of them.

Thomas

--
KDE translation: http://i18n.kde.org
Deutsche KDE-Uebersetzung: http://i18n.kde.org/teams/de