List:       kde-edu-devel
Subject:    [kde-edu-devel] Linux/Open Source in Education Resources
From:       Scott Wheeler <wheeler () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-07-13 9:50:38

After talking to some people at LinuxTag, it became apparent that there hasn't
been much interaction between the KDE Edu project and other organizations
trying to promote Linux and Open Source in education.

So, I thought a first step would be to start to look around on the web and see
what's out there.  I emailed several of these groups and asked them to place
http://edu.kde.org/ in their links/resources section and joined the mailing
lists of both SEUL and SchoolForge.

It would be nice to start some cooperation with these groups to help get more
exposure for KDE Edu.  If I see anything particularly exciting I'll forward
it on to kde-edu.

Here's what I came up with:

*) OpenSourceSchools.org - Fostering Free & Open Source Curricula, Software
and Thought in School

http://opensourceschools.org/

This is a really well organized site, with some rather useful information.
One of the things that you see there is the "Linux in education report" which
seems to come out rather often.  I'm not sure, but this may be something from
one of the SEUL mailing lists.  More on that shortly.
*) SchoolForge Linux Case Studies

http://casestudy.seul.org/

This is hosted on SEUL, which has some connection to SchoolForge.  Anyway,
this is *really* useful stuff -- it's examples of how schools are using Open
Source/Linux.  Eva and I had talked about trying to put together a similar
list at LinuxTag, but it looks like a lot of the work has been done (yay!).
*) K12Linux in Schools Project

http://www.riverdale.k12.or.us/linux/index.html
*) Open Source Education Foundation Website

http://www.osef.org/
*) Linux in der Schule

http://www.suse.de/de/products/books/data/data_buecher/3_934678_21_1.html

I think I will email this author in the near future to see what he covers in
the book and to see if he has any helpful information about where and how
Linux is being used in schools.  (I remember him emailing this list a long
time ago.).

There's more out there, but this seemed like a good start.

Cheers,

-Scott