List:       kde-edu-devel
Subject:    Re: [kde-edu-devel] a new program
From:       Anne-Marie Mahfouf <a-m.mahfouf () lineone ! net>
Date:       2002-06-19 19:48:30

On Wednesday 19 June 2002 2:28 pm, Niehaus Carsten wrote:
> Hi
>
> Please look at this.
>
> http://apps.kde.com/nf/2/info/vid/7520
>
> This is the next (10th or so) vocabulary trainer.
> mmg, shouldn't we try to make one real cool by perhaps even
> ask these 2 authors for help/code. I am thinking about
> what we talked about on LT with KVerbos, KVocTrain and KNorskVerbs.

Could you share with us what you discussed? I am interested in every idea
regarding KNorskVerbs.....

> Comments/Flames?

I would be glad to find a correct structure for KLatin, I am struggling with
the wizard model, don't see how to structure the different pages. But
KVocabulary looks hardly revolutionary.......

I am not sure KVocabulary can be used for KNorskVerbs (vocab!=verbs). I also
think that any vocabulary application must give the user the possibility to
learn with FlashKard hence have the kvtml data format.
The screenies of KVocabulary are in german which is already bad for me. We
are there in the debate regarding KVerbos GUI.

I cannot make the program run, it does not launch and disables my whole
desktop in the process....... Had to use Ctrl+Alt+Backspace....

Having had a quick look to the code, here are my thoughts. Do they want to
integrate all the KDE languages? Is it really possible to have all languages
interacting between each other in one app? No data yet.
In short: this app is a good idea but does not answer all the questions we
try to solve (mainly: data support for every i18n language is not solved,
data format is not solved, GUI does not seem different than KLatin, GUI
language is as in KVerbos...)

Not that I want to be negative but we already have KVocTrain that
could be improved to be "globalized" and KVocTrain seems better to me than
KVocabulary which is only a main window and 3 dialogs with nothing in them.

Maybe the authors should be contacted (I have little time left to do so
myself) and they could integrate KDE-Edu either pursuing KVocabulary if they
have a road map for it or joining some other project.

annma