List:       kde-edu-devel
Subject:    Re: [kde-edu-devel] XML and me.....
From:       Anne-Marie Mahfouf <a-m.mahfouf () lineone ! net>
Date:       2002-05-29 17:53:26

Hi,

> OK, so I will comment on the interface :-)
> The problem is very common to some kdeedu applications, including keduca:
> Often the concepts of a dialog and a document-centric approach are
> confused.
>
> Your screenies look like they really should be a dialog/wizard kind of
> thing. A main window with a toolbar and a iconbar implies that there is a
> document to edit, but the main widget is some kind of dialog where options
> are set. It does not matter if those are stored in a document. The
> interface in your screenies looks quite similar to the one of keduca and I
> have been thinking very hard of how this can be improved. I have not found
> the perfect solution yet, but maybe we can help each other!

Yes, KEduca and KLatin have a lot in common GUI speaking.
Are there any  other KDE apps of this type?
Who could help in that matter in KDE? Maybe ask people around in LT when you
are there.
(I am very very useless about GUI)

> When there are only 1-3 items on a toolbar it most often is a very good
> indication that the interface should not be a main window.
> Another thing is that the main widget in a main window should always
> represent a document and should never be empty (it even says this in the
> KDE Style guide) - And I do consider a Label or a picture essentially as an
> empty main window.

exactly. In fact I put the Label because otherwise there would be nothing :(
Maybe I should load some data first and start with that.
The toolbar can be filled up though.....

> So I prefer the old way of doing dialogs, but those should be reworked.
> Maybe there is the perfect 3rd solution?

So you prefer having separate windows. But shouldn't they have a menubar,
toolbar and statusbar in the mainwindow to switch between tasks? The
one-window as it is in KLatin deny access to other tasks when you are in one
task.

> I was thinking about generating a wizard that asks the questions in a
> KEduca Test/Exam. Maybe that is something for klatin as well?

:) yes. Especially for grammar and conjugation. What file format do you use?

Thanks a lot for your answer and I'll keep trying new designs to submit :)

annma