List:       kde-edu-devel
Subject:    Re: [kde-edu-devel] XML and me.....
From:       Klas Kalass <klas.kalass () gmx ! de>
Date:       2002-05-29 16:23:33

Am Mittwoch, 29. Mai 2002 12:35 schrieb Anne-Marie Mahfouf:
> Thanks for any help/hint/flame/encouragement on that matter. Please tell me
> if KLatin as I see it is better in GUI than the actual one. Ask me for the
> code if you want it, I'll commit only when xml works and if people are
> happy with the new interface. If not, it still improves my coding skills so
> there's no bother ;)
OK, so I will comment on the interface :-)
The problem is very common to some kdeedu applications, including keduca:
Often the concepts of a dialog and a document-centric approach are confused.

Your screenies look like they really should be a dialog/wizard kind of thing.
A main window with a toolbar and a iconbar implies that there is a document
to edit, but the main widget is some kind of dialog where options are set. It
does not matter if those are stored in a document. The interface in your
screenies looks quite similar to the one of keduca and I have been thinking
very hard of how this can be improved. I have not found the perfect solution
yet, but maybe we can help each other!

When there are only 1-3 items on a toolbar it most often is a very good
indication that the interface should not be a main window.
Another thing is that the main widget in a main window should always represent
a document and should never be empty (it even says this in the KDE Style
guide) - And I do consider a Label or a picture essentially as an empty main
window.

So I prefer the old way of doing dialogs, but those should be reworked.
Maybe there is the perfect 3rd solution?

I was thinking about generating a wizard that asks the questions in a KEduca
Test/Exam. Maybe that is something for klatin as well?

Greetings,
Klas