List:       kde-edu-devel
Subject:    Re: [kde-edu-devel] First Announcement Of KMathCenter
From:       Matthias Messmer <bmlmessmer () web ! de>
Date:       2002-04-30 22:40:35

On Tuesday 30 April 2002 12:32, Christian Parpart wrote:
> Sebastian Stein inspired the electrons to say:
> > Am Dienstag, 30. April 2002 10:18 schrieb Christian Parpart:
> > > I would be really really very happy if you feel free to download it,
> >
> > Ok, I was only able to have a look at the screenshots, because I have not
> > installed KDE 3 yet. It really looks great, but there is a tool called
> > kmplot allready included into the kdeedu package. I think both tools are
> > doing the same job. I can not say which tool is better... But I think it
> > would not make sence to have 2 tools included doing the same.
>
> kmplot is not really doing the same. It can plot functions and it can print
> them to the paper. KMathCenter also has a function plotter, but with more
> intents. As you surely could see on the screenshots. It also supports
> function combinings, derivations, etc. It's an analytic function plotter,
> as the name says, a help for analysis.
>
> kmplot has not these features. And, kmplot does crash on function call
> referencing, KMathCenter has an recursion guard already implemented. It is
> said the the auther thinks his program is already finished. However, I do
> really wich that this application will never finish.
[... snip]

I personally dislike all-in-one applications like KMath, KPysics or even
KLanguage. So i vote for tiny progs for common issues like plottig the graph
of a given function.

Ok, kdm (original author of kmplot) said some day, he doesn't want to
restructure the code of kmplot, cause its too much work for less use. We
argued about that.
Finally we restart our discussion - more kindly now :-) - and now we want to
improve kmplot that it fits into KDE, hopefully into KDE-EDU as well.

Plotting with high precision is one important feature of kmplot. Support of
polar coordinates and of parametric functions is another.

I'm not familar with the parser coded by kdm, so i will pass the mentioned
problem to kdm himself. But after working over the GUI at some points we will
have a nice Program that i dont want to miss.

Furthermore i'll try your approach to find out commonesses and differences in
handling with plots.

Regards

Matthias

--