List:       kde-edu-devel
Subject:    Re: [kde-edu-devel] Patches vs. CVS... && KDevelop vs "other" editors
From:       Waldo Bastian <bastian () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-04-18 21:34:04

On Thursday 18 April 2002 02:08 pm, Whitehawk Stormchaser wrote:
> I use KDevelop almost nonstop, because the project handling is really
> fantastic :) ...and I will probably never switch to something else, unless
> that something new has a better project handling... Like Kate plugin is
> kinda nice, but it is still way from being _completly useful_ tool :)
>
> People should use whatever it is fit for them. For me is KDevelop, for some
> emacs, for others Joe, and it looks like even Kate is getting her
> percentage of developers :)

The problem is that there are only a few KDE developers with extensive
knowledge of making correct Makefile.am-s and those people do not tend to use
KDevelop. If you fix things throughout all of KDE (which is _alot_ of source)
it doesn't work if you have to use KDevelop for one application, Kate for
another and Joe for a third. Luckily the output generated by most
text-editors is highly compatible. KDevelop unfortunately is the odd one out
when it comes to Makefile.am-s.

I understood that the Gideon version of KDevelop will be less intrusive wrt
Makefile.am you might want to give that one a try.

Cheers,
Waldo
--
bastian@kde.org  |   SuSE Labs KDE Developer  |  bastian@suse.com