List:       kde-edu-devel
Subject:    Re: [kde-edu-devel] Usability and Style issues in KDEdu
From:       Whitehawk Stormchaser <zerokode () gmx ! net>
Date:       2002-04-17 20:44:29

On Wednesday 17 April 2002 20:20, Anne-Marie MAHFOUF wrote:

> > applications that I've seen.  It seems that very many of the KDEdu
> > applications mention the author on the splash screen or in the main
window.
> > Again, I'm just curious why KDEdu differs on this.

> Credits should be in Help->about and not anywhere else.
> The splash-screen of KHangMan has my name but this will be removed. KHangMan
> just made it in cvs and will be re-design by Stormchaser.
> I cannot see where there are credits. Could you be more specific, please?

Why the credits shouldn't be in the splashscreen? I mean, in KHM in HEAD I
have stuck the "cultural" Help button, but still I wander, why I culdn't keep
the "original authour in their splash screen...

> > * KHangMan *
> >
> > Aside from the concerns mentioned above, the thing that I noticed that
> > seems confusing here is the level menu.  It contains the options: Level,
> > Easy, Animals, Medium, Hard.  First Level is intended (I think) to be a
> > label and not an option and should probably be implemented as such.
> > Second, the option "Animals" in a box that's otherwise about difficulty
> > seems odd.  Should there maybe be two boxes?  One for difficulty and one
> > for type?  Or maybe just a rewording of "Level" or a separator in the
list.
> >  It just seems like "Animals" is confusing in that context.
>
> yes. I put animals because it was easier to guess words when you know the
> specific category.

Well... The "animals" will be left insede the combo box for now; I am working
on 0.8 version, and honestly there are some things, that  I give under
question:
Exactly for the "animals".... This is something, that I have been wondering
for some time... Well... The animals indeed are categorised, but the problem
is, that they DO NOT belong after "easy" level, because they are WAAAAY to
hard to actually put them after the easy level :)

> > * KMessedWords *
> >
> > Just two typos:  Stat -> Start, Option -> Options
OK... Where are those??? I don't actually remember putting any "start" or
option... There are "play", "try" and "configuration" :(

> Fonts
> Still in KLettres, I use fonts size 100. It works only after the user has
> installed some fonts in his home via the Font installer in KControl.
> Otherwise, you only get size 12 which is ridiculously small.
> I did not find a solution that would assure that on each system I could get
> big size for a font.
Erm... OK... Font sized "100" is HUGE!!! In the new KHangMan the word will
have letters of Helvetica::24, and I KNOW, that this should be huge enough :)
I have rewrote the complete interface (engine still doesn't work), and the
fonts for the buttons are normal... Helvetica 12 normal :)

Regards
~W

- --
I have Linux installed, but it just doesn't want to make coffee...