List:       kde-edu-devel
Subject:    Re: [kde-edu-devel] Usability and Style issues in KDEdu
From:       Scott Wheeler <wheeler () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-04-17 20:00:24

On Wednesday 17 April 2002 02:20 pm, Anne-Marie MAHFOUF wrote:

> I reckon that I put a splash-screen in all my progs. I did it just that the
> child sees the program will start, it has a visual impact that I like. My
> kids like that too. KDevelop has one, Quanta as well. Personally, I like
> it. But it might be good to get more points of view. If we agree we could
> keep them, then maybe we could agree on a common one.

KLeters, KPercentage, KGeo, KHangMan, KLatin, KMessedWords, KStars, KTouch,
and KVerbos all have spash screens.  That's 60%.  I couldn't name 9
applications in the rest of KDE that have spash screens.

KDevelop and Quanta both take some time to load up, much like KStars.  In the
rest of KDE that seems to be the reason that splash screens are used -- for
applications that load a lot of data on start up.

And, kids liking it *is* enough of a reason to have them, but that's kind of
what I was looking for -- some logic behind having them.  You have the good
fortune of having a few application testers around.  :-)

> Credits should be in Help->about and not anywhere else.
> The splash-screen of KHangMan has my name but this will be removed.
> KHangMan just made it in cvs and will be re-design by Stormchaser.
> I cannot see where there are credits. Could you be more specific, please?

Sure!  KLatin, KTouch and KHangMan all have credits in the splash screen.

> yes, I am all for it. Maybe because I am so bad in design.......
> I would contribute to a style guide.

> yessss, I like your thoughts and I am hoping we'll think about all that.
>

> Buttons or menubar or toolbar?
> I was thinking about KLettres where I put the buttons on the app (Level,
> Help, Quit). I will add a language combo so I was wondering whether to put
> all that in a toolbar with icons+text buttons. A menubar seems too
> difficult for kids aged 3 or 4 but a toolbar with icons would do. My
> daughter who is nearly 4 recognizes easily the menu items in the K menu to
> launch the app she wants.
> For kids apps, my preference would be a toolbar with buttons (icons+text)
> maybe a bit bigger than the standard buttons.
> Problem is that a toolbar is with a menubar, not alone.
> Is it possible to hide/suppress the menubar in the child mode? (see further
> on, this is a reference to Eva's idea)

Yep!  In your KMainWindow derived class use (assuming "bool expertMode" is set
up) this in your constructor:

if(!expertMode) {
  menuBar()->hide();
}

If KActions are used, as they should be, when you create your toolbar actions,
it is very easy to also have those same options in your menubar.  You then
use your <app>ui.rc file to specify what should be where.

> Eva suggested 2 possible settings (roughly child mode and adult mode) which
> could be configured in KControl.
> I like that approach although I don't have a clue on how to code that.

I have some (though not much) experience with KControl, and I will volunteer
to write this if and when it's decided what should be in there.

I think really the best thing to do would be to start a small library and
KControl module that can grow as needed.  This is stuff that I like doing, so
I will help with this.  I'll see if I can get something basic -- a "proof-of
concept" -- done this week.  But I'd like to get a couple of things worked
out in FlashKard work (my "todo" list is ever growing!).

> I think we could define a style and the developers who want to use it
> could. No pressure for anyone. But for apps for young kids, I think it
> would be a great help for new developers if we have this style guide. I
> know several people who would like to code something but are stuck with the
> interface.

Sounds great to me!  At some point I (or others) can do some searching to see
if any research has been done about this type of stuff.  If not, we'll just
have to keep your kids busy.  :-)

Cheers,

-Scott