List:       kde-edu-devel
Subject:    Re: [kde-edu-devel] Usability and Style issues in KDEdu
From:       Scott Wheeler <wheeler () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-04-17 18:04:34

On Wednesday 17 April 2002 11:50 am, Sebastian Stein wrote:

> I think your idea about a KDEdu style guide is very good. But it is
> impossible to realize. Because the apps are really different, because the
> tasks are different. One time you have a game to select points on a map,
> next time you have to enter words, next time you have to enter numbers and
> so on.

Hmm.  Well, there is a KDE style guide.  If the differences are not too large
between all of the other KDE apps, I find it hard to accept that KDEdu apps
are just to different to have a style guide.

For example I think something like, "Larger fonts may be appropriate for
applications geared towards children ages 4-10.  If you decide to use larger
fonts please do so by [...]".  Where [...] might be

label->setFont(KDEdu::fontSize())

(though a class like that doesn't currently exist)

I also like Eva's idea of doing this in a library.

But again, if most people don't think the idea of a style guide is good, I
won't push for it much more.  Just a suggestion.  :-)

> I also do not like the idea to have only one big KDEdu app providing all
> games and tests under one big GUI. But maybe we can write one app for each
> subject/topic like mathematic including all realized and planned apps under
> one GUI.
> These subject apps can be based on one concept with one code base. I think
> a kind of plugin mechanism would be needed.

Hmm.  I wasn't trying to suggest this.  I think individual apps is certainly
preferable.  But they should be a "unit" that fits together loosly by look
and feel.

Cheers,

-Scott