List:       kde-edu-devel
Subject:    [kde-edu-devel] Some reflections from LinuxTag Chemnitz
From:       Josef Spillner <dr_maux () users ! sourceforge ! net>
Date:       2002-03-11 10:49:47

Hi all,

the KDE booth at LT Chemnitz was next to the "Linux in Schools" booth, which
consisted of the projects Arktur (a Linux-based terminal server which
controls clients of all different kinds, the ones at the booth were
KDE-2.2-powered), and PingoS (which is a distributed project helping schools
even locally if possible).

Of course we had some talks on KDE-Edu, what has been done already and what
they think is still needed. One teacher stressed the importance of something
like spell checking in various places, thank god there's kspell :)
He also would like to see more math-orientated apps.
A third point was to create not only software for pupils but also for the
teachers.

It seems that most schools have networked PCs nowadays. On the other side,
some hardware is too old to run KDE2/3 properly, being stuck with Windows
3.11, so the problem is less the software but more the hardware.

I hope some of these people appear on one of the edu lists one day, at least I
encouraged them to do so, telling them that kde-edu is not there just for the
heck of it but to help enabling free education and that input is needed, e.g.
what applications are needed.

Josef

--
The MindX Open Source Project: Fighting proprietary games
GGZ now! - The GGZ Gaming Zone: http://ggz.sourceforge.net