List:       kde-edu-devel
Subject:    [kde-edu-devel] kgeo, kseg and kde
From:       dominique devriese <fritmebufstek () pandora ! be>
Date:       2002-02-07 16:48:07

hi,
a while ago, i was looking for a free "interactive geometry" program like
the proprietary "cabri géomètre", and i found two: kseg, and kgeo
both seem to have been abandoned (or am i wrong here ?)
it seemed that kseg had more features than kgeo, so i started using that.
the only thing i didn't like about kseg, was that it was (had become) a
qt-only program, so i started porting it to kde (2.2).
i'm not too far yet with this (but porting from qt to kde is not that hard),
i'm implementing kactions and createGUI() stuff instead of what it had before
(sometimes rather messy, like for the recent files list and such), added
other stuff like the kcmdlineargs and the kde style build process (automake
and Makefile.cvs and such), going to switch to kfile and kurl etc., and this
will prolly still take a while
now i'm wondering what you think if this could have any role in kdeedu after
i'm ready, kgeo looks way nicer, with lots of icons, and a splash startup
screen, but kseg has more features (e.g. constructions, transformations, and
something called "quick play" (i'm not sure what that is yet :)
).  It would be
rather stupid to have two programs doing the same job in kde.
Maybe i could merge the two programs, use the best in both to provide for a
very nice end-product.  I'm also thinking of doing my own additions (koffice
integration would be very nice, if that's not too much work (but that's
very distant future :) ) etc.)
anyway, let me know what you think of this.
domi
ps: my work on this program won't go fast, i'm still in secondary education
(flemmish for "high school")(last year), and have lots of stupid homework to
do. I think i will get it to work though
(if someone is willing to help, he's always welcome (mail me for the source
of my adapted version of kseg))