List:       kde-edu-devel
Subject:    Re: [Kde-edu-devel] format of ktopo mapfiles
From:       Matthijs Sypkens Smit <matthijs () helena ! tux ! nu>
Date:       2001-12-29 12:23:56

On Friday 28 December 2001 16:17, Jason Harris wrote:

> Hello,
>
> In KStars, we are addressing this problem by constructing a "dummy" class
> that contains all of the translatable strings found in the input data
> files. Specifically, the class contains a dummy function that is simply a
> list of QString declarations using i18n().  This function is never actually
> called by the program, but from what we have learned, the only way to
> guarantee that the translators see your strings is to include them in the
> source code.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but I don't think your suggestion addresses the
problem I put forward. Your suggestion certainly helps getting things in data
files translated, but I was specifically wondering how to store these
translations.

My knowledge of XML is still marginal, but I'll try an example anyway. I
imagine a mapfile in XML would look something like this:
<ktopomap name="Western Europe" image="maps/eu/weu.png">
	<pointitem x="120" y="341" type="city">Paris</pointitem>
	<pointitem x="75" y="231" type="city">London</pointitem>
	<pointitem x="39" y="419" type="city">Berlin</pointitem>

	<areaitem name="France" type="country">
		<polygoncoordlist>
			<coord x="110", y="112"/>
			<coord x="115", y="113"/>
			<coord x="114", y="117"/>
		</polygoncoorlist>
	</areaitem>
<ktopomap>

Firstly I don't have any real experience with XML, so I'm not sure what would
be a good way to store the data in XML. Secondly there're the translations
for strings in this data file, such as "Paris", "London", "France", etc.
Should there be a different topofile for every language (that would seem to
have quite come redundancy) or should translations be stored in the XML,
something like < ... name="Paris" nl="Parijs" za="[...]" ... >? Or is there
maybe another, better, way to handle these translations?

--
Matthijs