List:       kde-edu-devel
Subject:    Re: [Kde-edu-devel] Fwd: [Event] KDE-Edu auf dem 4. Chemnitzer Linux-Tag?
From:       Josef Spillner <dr_maux () maux ! de>
Date:       2001-12-11 5:42:57

Hi,

On Monday 10 December 2001 23:04, Anne-Marie Mahfouf wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> An invitation but I think it will be in german .......I cannot manage :(
> Anyone interested?

Sure :-)

> Oops, I am very sorry. I somehow thought to have read you were german. Ok.
> This mail is about the 4. Chemnitzer Linux-Tag which will take place on
> March 09th and 10th 2002 in Chemnitz/Germany. In Chemnitz and other cities
> nearby we have many schools that think of changing their NT infrastruture
> to a Linux based installation. Many schools in Germany use Linux as a
> backend / dialin server, because there is a special Linux distribution for
> this purpose. This distribution was developed by a teacher who teaches in a
> school in Chemnitz and who is very active in the Linux in schools movement.

I can only confirm this. I know of at least two projects, and for many
schools it looks as if they will follow.

> As many teachers know that teacher (Reiner Klapproth) and Reiner gave
> speeches on the last Linux-Tag, many of our visitors are interested in this
> topic. So we thought of extending the topic into the frontend area. That is
> what we need you and the KDE-EDU project for. If we can show the teachers a
> way to go to step by step migrate to a Linux-mainly environment, we can
> invite all schools in saxony (our region) to visit us. It would be a
> massive PR event if a large percentage of the teachers who take care for
> the computers in schools would come to our Linux-Tag.

I'll meet Reiner tomorrow, I'm going to speak with him about this.
Although I missed his presentation last year, I saw many visitors around the
booth.

> We would be very glad if the KDE-EDU project could participate in this
> event. It would be a very rich contribution.

I don't know who else will be there (maybe it seems appropriate to inform
kde-events too?), but I'll be there for sure, at least on one of the two
days, maybe both.
Given a _very_ rough schedule I think that around this time KDE 3.0 is
released, so many other kde-edu apps (like, umm, Kard ;) can be shown there
as well as being part of the 'upcoming' KDE 3.1 (as LinuxTag in Chemnitz is
visited by many developers), so we might get some interesting hints.

Josef

--
The MindX Open Source Project: Fighting proprietary games
GGZ now! - The GGZ Gaming Zone: http://ggz.sourceforge.net