List:       kde-edu-devel
Subject:    Re: libkeduvocdocument name
From:       Peter Hedlund <peter () peterandlinda ! com>
Date:       2014-07-30 20:45:12

Ah, that sounds great. The main reason for not having done such archives in=
 the past is that with images and sounds they can grow fairly large. But th=
at is probably less of an issue nowadays. I say go for it.

Peter

On Jul 30, 2014, at 1:41 PM, Jeremy Whiting <jpwhiting@kde.org> wrote:

> Peter,
> =

> You make a good point. Actually the name being old isn't the only
> reason to change it. There are two reasons. One is that
> libkeduvocdocument is quite a mouthful. But the more important one is
> that in the future we plan to update the library to use a new file
> format. The technical details haven't been ironed out completely yet,
> but ideally we want the xml and any accompanying image and sound files
> to be included within one compressed file (most likely zip) for
> simpler uploading, downloading, and sharing of vocabulary files. A bit
> of work has been done looking at existing file formats and standards,
> but nothing has been set in stone yet (or in code either) and I'd like
> the change to be gradual rather than all at once if we can. However
> since libkeduvocdocument has it's own git repository now I'd like to
> have a name for the git repository and the library to begin with, it
> will be much harder to rename the git repository or library after we
> have a few releases with the long libkeduvocdocument name.
> =

> BR,
> Jeremy
> =

> On Wed, Jul 30, 2014 at 2:34 PM, Peter Hedlund <peter@peterandlinda.com> =
wrote:
>> Hello,
>> =

>> Not that I am going to argue one way or other since I am not very involv=
ed these days, but it seems that if the only reason for a change is that th=
e name is old then I don=92t see the point. It appears your real issue is w=
ith the kvtml extension but changing that would confuse existing users.
>> =

>> Thanks,
>> Peter
>> =

>> On Jul 30, 2014, at 1:13 PM, Jeremy Whiting <jpwhiting@kde.org> wrote:
>> =

>>> Hey all,
>>> =

>>> IRC has been a bit quiet the past few days since I got back from my
>>> vacation, so I thought I'd give the mailing list a try.
>>> libkeduvocdocument needs a new name. the current name (and new git
>>> repo) are old, kvoctrain has been renamed to Parley for quite a long
>>> time. kvtml derives it's name from kvoctrain, so doesn't make a lot of
>>> sense going forward.  A couple of weeks ago a discussion on irc led to
>>> the suggestion of liblexikon which is a swedish word for dictionary
>>> from what I understand (and is close enough to other latin based words
>>> to be recognizable also).
>>> =

>>> So I propose to rename libkeduvocdocument (the library based on
>>> frameworks and qt5, and the git repo itself) to liblexikon. If nobody
>>> speaks up in the next week or so I'll make it happen. If anyone has a
>>> better idea, speak now :)
>>> =

>>> thanks,
>>> Jeremy