List:       kde-edu
Subject:    Re: [kde-edu]: Integrating existing EduApps into KDE-Edu?
From:       Anne-Marie Mahfouf <annemarie.mahfouf () free ! fr>
Date:       2007-01-28 8:19:52

Hi Ralf,

1) Speaking of the kdeedu module (the code)
A few things: KDE-Edu is a KDE module and part of "official" KDE (the kdeedu
module is shipped in a KDE release). As such, it should follow a few criteria
which are:
- build on KDE (not only QT) latest technology. Why so? To fully integrate in
the KDE desktop.
- programs should be actively maintained and developers should follow KDE
release scheme
- be as international as possible (it should be possible to use it in every
country in the world) -> allow use of translated data

So, to answer more precisely your question: Java, Python, Ruby applications
should be ported to use kde-bindings. GTK+ apps don't belong to kdeedu.

There's also the matter of size of the module which is already too big. This
already poses problems to edu distros. For example in my view I'd prefer
having edu games in a separate package. This has to be dicussed later.

2) You mention a few names of applications. For example JFractionLab. We have
KBruch. If some features exist in JFractionLab that are missing in KBruch
then maybe we can merge the 2 programs.
GeoGebra seems very interesting and more interactive then Kig or KmPlot. If we
have a KEduca-replacement that can be used by other programs to generate
workshhets like that one:
http://www.geogebra.org/en/examples/circle_equation/circle_equation.html
we'll have the same functionalities.
AbulEdu is French only. As far as I know it is developed by teachers and can
answer French teachers needs. As such, it should be distributed by AbulEdu
and not KDE-Edu.

3) Speaking of the website
We could have a section listing other interesting edu apps. However this is
difficult to maintain and I cannot volunteer to do so. A common wiki maybe
would be nice.

4) My turn for a question ;-)  Speaking of Debian-edu I was curious to see
what was in Skolelinux currently (for my presentation in Paris at the Linux
show on Tuesday)  and I could not find real information on whether debian-edu
packages KDE-Edu apps and what version is currently shipped, where it is
used.

Regards,

Anne-Marie