List:       kde-edu
Subject:    Re: [kde-edu]: Re: new project / ktimes?
From:       "Mahfouf Anne-Marie" <annemahfouf () hotmail ! com>
Date:       2002-08-04 18:23:46

Hi

>Erm.. are you sure ?  These two seem to me like rather similar apps,
>and having two of these IMHO is not consistent to the user, a waste of
>developer time etc.  Also: merging is not as simple as you seem to
>think.. I made a similar mistake when i started Kig, and i'd very much
>advise against it.

KTimes is aimed to help kids learn multiplication tables and Michael's idea
is
more a game to help develop quick mental calculations with the 4 operations.

This is again the same debate we already had about having one global
application or
several small apps more focused on one aspect of learning (one all-language
app against
KVerbos, KNOrskVerbs, KLettres...)
From the feedback I get about my apps (KTimes, KLettres,...) I am for
developing small focused
apps until a unification is possible and is requested by the users. It is
possible
that KTimes will not integrate KDE-Edu if people feel it's best to have
global apps.

I know that Debian released Debian Education in France and that project is
happy to integrate
all working edu applications, small or big. If you take KLettres, I
developed it for
my daughter so it answers an educational purpose. The fact that it has been
ported in 2
other languages says that it also helps kids in other countries too. This is
enough for me to
qualify as edu app. If it does not fit in KDE-Edu, then it'll fit in Debian
Edu and other similar
projects.

Anyway, at the moment KTimes is not in KDE3 version so there is no problem
for Michael
to start his project. When I restart KTimes, I'll see what to do with it.
I don't have too much time at the moment but I would be happy to help
Michael in any way.

Anne-Marie

> > Different levels, child and adult mode would be great, for a multi
> > player feature, it would also be great
> > but I never implement that yet.
>
>/me also likes these features.. :)
>

> > What I suggest to get you started:
> > - to subscribe to the kde-edu-devel mailing list
> > http://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kde-edu-devel
> > - to ask there about any help you want, about the design you have in
> > mind, to ask any questions
> > you might have,....
>
>- read the Qt documentation in case you've never worked with Qt
>before, and read some docs on KDE development if you've never done
>that before...
>
>cheers
>

> > I hope this helps you and I would like to welcome you in the
> > project.
>
>same here...
>
>cheers
>domi
>
>--
>"I think I wet my bed."
>
>--Ralph Wiggum
>   The Brother from Another Series (Episode 4F14)

Anne-Marie Mahfouf
annemahfouf@hotmail.com
(temporary mail address, no big messages, no pictures, thank you)