List:       kde-edu
Subject:    Re: [kde-edu]: proposal
From:       Sebastian Stein <s5228 () informatik ! htw-dresden ! de>
Date:       2002-06-18 16:14:23

Anthony Moulen <ajmoulen@alum.mit.edu> [020618 18:03]:

Ok, I think you didn't saw the sarcasm in my answer, because there are some
missunderstandings...

> > > Yes... It sound like a suggestion that C++ is the only language that
> > > should be taught.  Perhaps general principles of programming should be
> > > the first step?
> >
> > This is what I want. But see below...
>
> What age group are you targetting for this education? Certainly not
> pre-college age if you want to teach theory and principles first. You will
> see your target audience bored to tears and simply close the application and
> say forget it.

No, you have not to tell them: "Hey, today we will talk about variables and
assignments." But you will find examples to introduce a variable. Maybe
explain it as a cupboard, where you can put some things in and get them back
if you need them again.
I think there must be a structure and at a point you have to introduce some
terms. But the problem is how to do this in a way that it is interesting for
young people - so in that case I agree with you!

> > I like your structure very well and I think it is the way I would teach
> > someone programming. But maybe a KDE Edu is only interesting to create new
> > programming folks to save the future of KDE ;-)
> >
> I agree, the structure is great, if your target audience is an adult audience.
> The audience is the most important thing when you are designing a curriculum
> because it must be targetted.  My understanding (and believe me I may have
> gotten the wrong impression) was that the KDE-EDU concept was for youth
> educational software.   As to saving the future of KDE, I don't think their
> is much to worry about here, if the concept was to build a KDE tutorial,
> there are already a few of them out there, some that are even good.

Yes, and here you got me wrong. It wasn't my idea to create an edu app to
teach the concepts of KDE programming. I said I would first start to teach
the basic concepts of programming and than go on with technologies like OOP.

And yes, no one told me if it would be easier to learn programming if you
have an app teaching it to you. I even not know after this quite long thread
how such an app should look like and which services it could provide.

Steinchen
--
http://www.hpfsc.de/ - die Seite rund um:
Assembler, Bundeswehr, TFT LCDs, Halle/Saale, Fahrradtouren,