List:       kde-edu
Subject:    Re: [kde-edu]: proposal
From:       Anthony Moulen <ajmoulen () alum ! mit ! edu>
Date:       2002-06-18 15:03:14

On Monday 17 June 2002 06:06 pm, Sebastian Stein wrote:
> Matthew Tedder <matthew@tedder.com> [020617 23:57]:
> > Yes... It sound like a suggestion that C++ is the only language that
> > should be taught.  Perhaps general principles of programming should be
> > the first step?
>
> This is what I want. But see below...

What age group are you targetting for this education? Certainly not
pre-college age if you want to teach theory and principles first. You will
see your target audience bored to tears and simply close the application and
say forget it.

> > It all begins with a structured base point.
>
> And this is the point where people start to argue. They say it is easier to
> begin programming with OOP, because you can break it down to reality. I say
> it is to abstract to teach the basic concepts of OOP in the first place.
>
> > The one can discuss building
> > upon that with more advanced concepts.  Example order:
>
> I like your structure very well and I think it is the way I would teach
> someone programming. But maybe a KDE Edu is only interesting to create new
> programming folks to save the future of KDE ;-)

I agree, the structure is great, if your target audience is an adult audience.
The audience is the most important thing when you are designing a curriculum
because it must be targetted.  My understanding (and believe me I may have
gotten the wrong impression) was that the KDE-EDU concept was for youth
educational software.   As to saving the future of KDE, I don't think their
is much to worry about here, if the concept was to build a KDE tutorial,
there are already a few of them out there, some that are even good.