List:       kde-edu
Subject:    Re: [kde-edu]: proposal
From:       Anthony Moulen <ajmoulen () moulen ! org>(by way of Anthony Moulen <ajmoulen () alum ! mit
Date:       2002-06-10 18:43:57

Why teach an outdated model only to turn around and teach the right way t=
build applications later? It is true that some people will be building lo=
level tools and services, which are often better served by being in C or =
some
other low level language without objects.  But when you start programming=
 you
want to see neat results and such.  Teaching a structured low level langu=
age
versus a object oriented language is the wrong direction.  It is also oft=
en
believed that teaching non-object oriented languages first makes it more
difficult to properly learn and use object oriented programming technique=
s,
as you try first to apply a functional or procedural method to solve your
problem before moving to an object oriented model.

In what little programming I have taught (high school and junior high
 levels), I would now have wished I had started with something like Java =
then
 moved on to C++ and then maybe straight C.  As for Pascal, is there real=
ly
 much going on around Pascal these days?

I will tell you this now, students learn better when they can apply what =
they
learn to real situations.  You teach them a language that isn't used, and
they aren't going to learn as well.  What neat things can you do with C
inside of KDE?

Also, how many times has someone here tried to make a struct work like a =
poor
man's class? There is a reason there are objects now.