List:       kde-edu
Subject:    Re: [kde-edu]: proposal
From:       Matthew Tedder <matthew () tedder ! com>
Date:       2002-06-10 19:23:11

On Sunday 09 June 2002 03:17 pm, Sebastian Stein wrote:
> Kevin Krammer <kevin.krammer@gmx.at> [020609 21:03]:
> > No one is forcing people to use OOP with C++.
> > This is not Java.
>
> Ok, but I think C or C++ are not good for starting. Basic (like VBA) or
> Pascal is much better, because you no brackets {} -> you have words like
> 'begin' and 'end'. This makes it much easier to read the code.

Pascal is dead in every practical sense, except for Delphi.  While Delphi is
a great product--light years ahead of VB--the only thing that keeps me from
using it is Pascal.  I bought both Delphi for Windows and Kylix...  I've
worked with VB, C/C++, SAS, JCL, Assembly, and Perl quit a lot.  Pascal is
the one language I just can't seem to get comfortable with.

Java is easy to get comfortable with, but I much prefer C++.  As another
person mentioned here, C++ does force programmers to use any methods they
don't want to use.  It gives a great deal more freedom.  That's why Java
cannot ever be as fast as C++ no matter how compiled it is.  Java requires
the use of objects at a very fine level of granularity.  Each time you break
apart objects, there will be overhead.  With C++ you can break them where it
makes sense to do so, instead of simple where ever Java mandates.

All those comparisons of how compiled to executable Java is "just as fast as
C++" is only true when you duplicate the object-structure of Java.  But C++
doesn't force you to that.  That's the point.

Sorry... I got a little off topic.

Matthew

--
Anything that can be logically explained, can be programmed.